OUR TREATMENTS AND SERVICES
Cord Blood Collection
WHAT IS CORD BLOOD COLLECTION?
Cord blood is the blood left behind in the umbilical cord and placenta immediately after a baby is born. It is a valuable source of many types of important cells, including stem cells that can be used on adults and children who need bone marrow transplants. Haematopoietic stem cells can be used to help create and heal organs, blood and the immune system.
You do not have to donate your cord blood if you do not wish to.
If you do wish to donate your cord blood it will be collected when your baby is born. A detailed history of your health will need to be taken, and your blood will need to be tested for any diseases. For your cord blood to be collected you will need to make arrangements for it before you give birth, and this process will make no difference to the way you give birth.
Your blood sample and cord blood will be stored at a low temperature to keep the cells healthy until they are needed. There are two main options when it comes to cord blood storage. You can donate your cord blood to a public cord blood bank to be used for anyone who needs it, or you can pay to have your cord blood stored in a private cord blood bank for the use of your family.
You will have 30 days after the cord blood is collected to change your mind.
WHAT IS CORD BLOOD USED FOR?
Cord blood is a valuable source of blood stem cells that can be used on patient who needs a bone marrow transplant. Even if cord blood isn’t perfectly matched, it is still a better option than poorly matched bone marrow, as the body is less likely to react against it.
Cord blood can also be used to help treat:
- Acute and chronic leukaemia
- High-risk solid tumours
- Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Myelodysplastic syndromes
- Aplastic anaemia
- Beta thalassaemia
- Diamond-blackfan anaemia
- Fanconi anaemia
- Sickle cell disease
- Chronic granulomatous disease
- Histiocytic disorders
- Leukocyte adhesion deficiency
- Severe combined immunodeficiency disease
- Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
- Krabbe disease
- Hurler syndrome
- Metachromatic leukodystrophy
- Sanfilippo syndrome
There are a number of clinical trials being conducted to see if cord blood stem cells can be used to treat conditions such as cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus.
WHY IS CORD BLOOD USED IN TREATMENTS?
Cord blood is used in certain treatments for a number of reasons, including:
- Collection and storage is simple and painless
- Can be used for treatment immediately after storage
- There is no need to locate a compatible donor
- No invasive procedure to harvest bone marrow
- Cord blood stem cells are more potent than others stem cells
- Cord blood stem cells haven’t been exposed to any pollutants
- More flexibility in genetic matching
- Reduced risk of graft vs host disease
- Lower incidence of viral transmissions
- The umbilicals stem cells are a perfect match for you child, and are more likely to match siblings and family members
If you have any questions about blood cord collection please talk to your midwife or healthcare professional.
If you have any further queries, our friendly team at My Obg will be happy to assist you. Call us on (03) 9731 1006 or email us at email@example.com